Thursday, November 21, 2013

Research Topic


          I have altered my research topic quite significantly. I plan to research whether depictions of illicit and pernicious activity in films instigate similar practices by viewers in their personal lives. I plan to use three films relevant to popular culture as examples: The Royal Tenenbaums, The Darjeeling Limited, and Requiem for a Dream. My research question is as follows: Does the depiction of self-mutilation in The Royal Tenenbaums and substance abuse in The Darjeeling Limited and Requiem for a Dream instigate viewers to subsequently exercise these practices and the like? This research topic is immensely relevant to popular culture. What the media exposes to society tends to influence the way in which society functions in most, if not all, of its facets. By determining whether or not a correlation is in fact established using these three films as examples, the magnitude of film's influence on societal members' psyches can be amounted. Currently, I am certain that the content depicted in mass media, especially film, almost invariably parallels values that proliferate within the popular culture of the time. Knowing this, I would like to attempt to discover if mirroring back the values and decisions that are presented to viewers psychologically impels them to adhere to and implement what they are exposed to. As of now, I would determine that depictions of illicit and harmful activity in film does indeed impel viewers to do the same. However, I am ignorant if this response from viewers is on the subconscious, conscious, or both subconscious and conscious levels. As such, in order to develop this research topic into a stronger essay, I must study the process of psychological influence on human beings in conjunction with the added effect of film as the medium conveying the psychological effects. 

6 comments:

  1. Very excellent topic Chris! Your topic is direct and you have lots of avenues for support on this topic. Might I add that I enjoy your vernacular. It's educated, loquacious edge makes me wish more of today's youth be this cognizant of their surroundings and subsequently their future. I am positive yours will be a terrific read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy this research topic but It seems to be in the same avenue as "does violent video games make children violent?" However I think you are asking a stronger question compared to the one I shared. They are connected but I belive it might be hard to find very specific answers to the films that you stated. I think it would be helpful to start looking at movies in general and how they effect people, it might be clear that movies give emotional reactions but deeper it is unclear. And I think you should talk more about the line you said "What the media exposes to society tends to influence the way in which society functions in most, if not all, of its facets." That is a strong statement and I think it should be backed up with strong evidence. I enjoy your topic and I think you will do well. Also I never seen those movies that you are talking about so I might give them a view.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree that entertainment and what the mass media propagates influences society. You mention two themes—substance abuse and self-mutilation. I could understand the substance abuse theme as promoting drug abuse or experimentation. However, the self-mutilation sounds difficult to correlate because how many times do we actually see this depicted in films? Is self-mutilation really “popular?” What is popularly propagated in movies—sex, violence, guns/weapons, drugs, and bad language etc. Regarding your movie choices, I saw only one of them, The Royal Tenenbaums because Anjelica Houston is one of my favorite actresses (The Grifters, The Witches, and The Addams Family movies etc. were all great). However, I did not like The Royal Tenenbaums story—it was weird and left me cold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very interesting topic to write about. Self-mutilation and substance abuse is very prominent in today’s society. I like how you’re going to use three different movies to help your essay. A suggestion is finding some statistics of how many people use illegal substances or self-mutilation. Also, find some scholarly articles of how people get treated for their addiction of substance abuse. Sounds like you have a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very well thought out and very well put. i believe that movies are impressionable most at a young age. i re,e,ber watching some movies when i was smaller and thinking "i could do that" and then getting my friends together at the playground and re-enacting scenes from a movie or simply acting like the protagonist. I remember in my Psychology class we went over how films influence thought, so i know for a fact there are videos on the subject on the Pima database the problem is trying to find them as i do not remember the name of the psychologist who did the study. interesting topic, sir. keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your topic! Movies are a popular source of entertainment that nearly everyone can afford to see. I've hardly seen self-mutilation in movies (but I don't go to the movies often) so I'm not sure if you'll be able to find research specific on this topic. Substance abuse statistics should be easy for you to locate. I look forward to reading your essay.

    ReplyDelete